Technical Director & RiggEr
Date Posted: July 17, 2017
HouseSpecial is a studio of vibrantly talented artists and seasoned production professionals driven by a passion for creative excellence. The Technical Director / Rigging serves a dual role in HouseSpecial: Rigs characters, props and sets to support our team of world-class animators; and functions as a Lead TD on projects, technically stewarding projects from pre-production, through final render. Our teams move fast; we never compromise on creativity.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with modelers and animators to optimize characters/rigs and integrate completed rigs into the production pipeline.
- Designs, prototypes, implements and supports animator-centric tools for animation.
- Participates in determining a technical approach to achieve the desired computer graphics effects on a shot.
- Shepherds data flow and troubleshoots issues between various disciplines: modeling changes throughout production; character setup adjustments; animation issues; rendering problems; texture, lighting and comp changes.
- Performs camera tracking on plates and integrates them into the pipeline.
- Ensures that the textures work with models for optimized render times.
- Monitors render issues.
- Ability to address changes in productions, schedules and their ramifications to the pipeline.
- Supports studio by providing assistance to other departments when necessary.
- Actively safeguards HouseSpecial’s Proprietary and Confidential Information.
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant technical/creative field of study and/or equivalent education/experience.
- Three or more years of commercial/film/animation industry experience.
- The ability to work cooperatively on a team.
- Experienced problem-solver in tight deadline situations.
- Ability to address and communicate issues quickly.
- Strong production-proven knowledge of Maya.
- Experience with Nuke, Arnold, Houdini, MODO, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop a plus.
- Experience with C/C++, Python, Perl and/or Mel.
- Understanding of physical motion, weight, balance and form.
- Knowledge of human and animal anatomy.
- Ability to prioritize hit deadlines and maintain consistent productivity in a fast paced environment.
- Open to taking direction and able to embrace change.
- Strong attention to detail, communication skills, a great attitude and common sense.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed by in a production coordination role and do not comprise the definitive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.